Problems when connected via midi to computer

Home Forums Macchiato Mini Synth Forum Macchiato FAQ & Support Problems when connected via midi to computer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Philm
    Participant

I connected the synth to computer via midi, When i send a midi note from the DAW it doesn’t seem to finish despite what the envelope ion the synth is whether its long or short. The note just plays continuously until it finishes on its own accord. I do not seem to have the same problem with the actual synth keyboard. In fact when I play that at the same time it will cut the midi note that has been sent from the DAW.

#1959 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

This is usually caused by the opto-coupler’s output ringing because it is driving too high of an impedance. We have found that some opto-couplers are more sensitive than others in this way. The fix is reducing the value of the pull up resistor on its output (R18). If you replace R18 with something less than 1000 ohms, it should help….Alternatively, if you have another resistor (anything between 300 ohms to 2500 ohms) you could put it in parallel with R18 and the parallel combination will be under 1000 ohms.

#2516 Reply
    kevin.w.holmes
    Participant

My synth does the same thing. Per zdlAdmin’s suggestion, I was thinking of first temporarily installing an appropriate resistor in parallel using jumper/patch cables to see if the suggested fix works.

#2517 Reply
    kevin.w.holmes
    Participant

Jumped 1K resistor in parallel with R18, made no difference.

Kevin

#2523 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Here’s a couple things to check:
    1. An earlier version of the Macchiato software sometimes showed this behavior. We believe your board has the latest software on it, but the only way to be sure is to download the latest from Github and re-flash it. (I see you just ordered a USB Tiny programmer.)
    2. We had a generic USB-to-MIDI cable here in the Lab that proved to be a piece of junk. It was actually missing some components from its innards and yielded unreliable MIDI conversion, with all sorts of ill effects. This is not an uncommon problem. Here is an article on fixing a buggy cable.
    3. The MIDI specification allows for two ways to tell a device to stop playing a note: with a Note Off message, and with a Note On / Velocity = 0 message. Theoretically they are equivalent, but we have seen several devices fail to respond reliably to one or the other. We developed the Macchiato to take Note On/Velocity 0 messages. Check your DAW. See which message it is sending. If there is an option, try to get it to send Note On Vel 0 in place of Note Off.

#2615 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

UPDATE: We recently released Macchiato software Hotfix 3 that eliminates this behavior. The Macchiato now properly interprets both Note Off and Note On / Vel 0 messages to terminate notes. Download it from our Github page and flash it to your synth with a USB-Tiny programmer. If you are unfamiliar with this process, get an Arduino friend to help; they’ll do it blindfolded.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #1959 in Problems when connected via midi to computer
Your information: