Cortado Experiments by solarbird

Home Forums Cortado Contact Microphone Forum Cortado Reviews Cortado Experiments by solarbird

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    solarbird
    Participant

Cortado-based floating bridge pickup

I made a floating bridge pickup out of a Cortado. It’s mostly standard, but with the obvious changes. Sound samples, eq curves, commentary on that here.

#1045 Reply
    solarbird
    Participant

I wrote up a build report for a Cortado – it’s over here, on my band blog. I was planning on modding it into a PZM/boundary microphone, but ended up needing this particular kit for a more standard purpose for a show coming up. The PZM project is still on the queue, though.

Cortado kit, completed

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by solarbird.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by zdlAdmin.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by zdlAdmin.
    #1054 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Nice build, solarbird! Nice instrument, cool band! Brach responded to the issues you raise in your build review personally, and on the forum here. Thanks for the beautiful photo!

#1164 Reply
    Glen v A
    Participant

Wow, this is great. Thanks for sharing your experience.

#1316 Reply
    solarbird
    Participant

This is not the Cortado Tin Can microphone, though it has similarities, but it is Cortado driven. It’s a crystal mic, more of the sort you’d’ve seen in the late 1930s and through the 1940s, with a large front-facing diaphragm. (That white disc is a solid piece, and that silver “can” is actually metal-tape-lined cardboard.)

Build writeup is in a couple of parts due to reasons, but the big one is here.

#1325 Reply
    Glen v A
    Participant

Amazingly cool.

#1376 Reply
    solarbird
    Participant

Version 3 (substantially improved) of the Cortado floating bridge pickup, an upgrade from the previous version above. Writeup and comparison sound samples here, but basically, the resonance plate now has a pressure chamber which you use with inserts to put pressure on the piezo’s crystal, and that changes the response profile a lot. Much less EQ needed in live use, which is a big usability win.

<center></center>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #1376 in Cortado Experiments by solarbird
Your information: