Head kit with ready-to-finish cabinet

Home Forums Percolator Tube Amp Forum Percolator FAQ & Support Head kit with ready-to-finish cabinet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    peterinaz
    Participant

Would it be possible to purchase a Percolator head kit with the cab assembled and ready to finish? I’m pretty handy with electronics but have a limited capacity for woodwork (especially with something like routers).

But I have a pretty cool finishing idea and would like to finish the cab myself. Are you able to accommodate me? Thanks for designing such a cool amp!

Peter R.
    Gilbert, AZ

#629 Reply
    Glen v A
    Participant

Absolutely YES! HOWEVER — This usually means waiting until the next time we fabricate a batch of cabinets; I would simply leave one of them unstained. Assuming you do not want to deal with the little grille panel, we would assemble that too. The price would be $309. It will be at least a couple of weeks before we run another batch of Percolators. If you place an order now, that will be a major inducement for us to go ahead and schedule the production run!
    Here is what another customer did with a prebuilt / unfinished cabinet.
    What is your finishing idea? Post it in the Finishing Tips / Tricks forum; I’m a former cabinet maker, and I’d love to hear your plans.

#631 Reply
    peterinaz
    Participant

I found this great Indigo Blue wood stain from Minwax. I was thinking of using that with a semi-gloss wipe-on varnish, also from Minwax. Kind of a Blue-sy amp!

#632 Reply
    Glen v A
    Participant

Fantastic. We’ll include a scrap of wood, sanded the same as the cabinet, for you to test on. Very dark stains are more prone to streaking and blotching than light stains, so you’ll want to practice first. And move quickly: soak the whole cabinet inside and out as fast as you can, then start wiping before it dries. Use a big rag, like a whole tee shirt, to be sure you are able to capture all the free stain. Send photos!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #629 in Head kit with ready-to-finish cabinet
Your information: