Let the build begin

Home Forums Quaverato Forum Quaverato FAQ & Support Let the build begin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Sterling
    Participant

Lots to do before heating up the iron. I’ve read through the build instructions — nice job. I use to build Heath Kits in the early 1970s and these instructions are of the same high quality.

Just inventoried the BOM and everything is there (both the pedal and the midi kit). So everything good to go. Just awaiting my IC sockets and some inline sockets (for transistors). I did notice that a socket is included for the micro controller — thanks.

Now if I can only get my cat to stop trying to help me.

#14185 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Build a cat trap first.

#14186 Reply
    Rusty Sterling
    Participant

Is that just a bigger rat trap? 😉 LOL

#14188 Reply
    Rusty Sterling
    Participant

Started by roughing up the case exterior with some sand paper and just applied a first coat of spray paint. I’d rather do powder coat but I don’t have the equipment or facility for that. But I’ve applied a light first coat and I’ll apply at least two more. And (boring) I’m using black paint. Still, it should look good in the end.

Also looking at using old Fender brown face knobs, of which I have a few. They are a cream color and will provide some contrast.

#14203 Reply
    Rusty Sterling
    Participant

Made some progress last night on the board. Got all the resistor, capacitors installed. I stopped after installing the relay. I’m using sockets for the transistors, opamp and midi IC — waiting for the socket for the opamp which should arrive tomorrow. That’s OK, slow is good.

A note, the instructions for Trimpot VR10has image 70 so what is probably and older board design. It confused me as to how to install it positioned correctly. So I put it aside. Later, I saw images 79 and 80 and they show the board I have and the correct orientation. So all is good.

Next step (starting tomorrow) will be installing input/output jacks and go from there.

I screwed up the heat shrink tubing for one of the optical couplers. Fortunately, I’m a heat shrink junkie and I have LOTS of heat shrink tubing. So now one coupler is black and the other is blue. At least high pass and low pass will be easily identifiable.

Also, I have a jewelers loop which helped a lot in checking the integrity of my soldering and any possible shorts (there were none). That loop has been indispensable. I highly recommend anyone doing work on these small boards have one in their tool kit.Mine magnifies 8x which is plenty to see minute areas on the board easily.

I will likely finish up tomorrow evening but we shall see. Just want to have the socket for the TL074. It should arrive tomorrow.

The cat just lounged quietly on the workbench and didn’t really give me any trouble. I guess she felt she was supervising.

#14270 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Sounds like So far, so good. Thanks for the feedback re. Image #70.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #14185 in Let the build begin
Your information: