No sound when the pedal is engaged

Home Forums Quaverato Forum Quaverato FAQ & Support No sound when the pedal is engaged

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Allan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Allan
    Participant

Hi, I get sound when the pedal is bypassed and no sound at all when the pedal is engaged.

I made a massive error when I installed the volume pot and accidentally soldered it in upside down. I tried for ages to remove the solder with solder wick, but I was concerned that the application of heat would damage a component, so I decided to cut the legs off and connected the pot in the correct orientation by soldering the legs back together.

Obviously this was very stupid, would it be best to order a new volume pot and replace it? Otherwise do you have any suggestions for what I should try. I hear the audible click hen I engage the pedal.

The LED’s all work, the tap tempo adjusts the tempo as I can see the LED change speed. Also all of the knobs affect the way and speed the green LED lights up. The toggle mode also works fine.

Allan

#30742 Reply
    brach

Allan,
    First of all, are the jumpers soldered properly?
    If so, try to test to see if the volume pot is connected properly on the PCB. To do this see if you have continuity between one of the side pins of the pot (the one on the left, depending on how the board is turned) and ground; test to see if the other side pin is connected to one of the pins of C4; then (while the pedal is engaged, ie the red light is ON beside the bypass switch) test to see if the center pin is connected to the output jack tip (or better yet, one of the pins of the relay closest to the edge of the board). For more details look a the schematic in the back of the manual. If all these are making connection then then the volume pot is connected properly and the issue is something else, so start working through the troubleshooting guide.
    Let me know what you find.
    -Brach

#30765 Reply
    Allan
    Participant

Hi,

I’m an idiot, it was the pads. Thanks for the post.

I do seem to have another issue. I seem to lose the high end frequencies after a few hours. I then need to re calibrate the pedal to get the correct sound. I thought it was a buffering issue beforehand, but re calibrating will fix the issue for a few hours before the high end disappears again.

The pedal sounds incredible when I have it working the way I want.

Allan

#30766 Reply
    brach

Allan,
    I’m glad the first issue was so easy to fix.
    If the tonality of the pedal is changing over time the only thing i can think of is that it might be a solder joint issue. As in, the signal is being hindered by some bad connection somewhere…and somehow it’s getting worse over time. You can always try to wiggle components with your finger as you play through the pedal to see if you notice the tone changing.
    It’s a weird problem that i haven’t seen before. I hate to ask this, but are you sure it’s not your perception or ear fatigue? To test this, you could try to record a riff on your phone when the tone is set the way you like, and then record the same riff again after you play through the pedal for a few hours. That would give you more of an objective opinion about what’s happening.
    That’s all i know to say about this issue at this point in time. Let me know if you try re-soldering things or try the recording test.
    Good luck.
    -Brach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #30742 in No sound when the pedal is engaged
Your information: