Unwanted Ring Modulation sounds

Home Forums Quaverato Forum Quaverato FAQ & Support Unwanted Ring Modulation sounds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gtuya11
    Participant

Hello,

I had this pedal wired for me by a friend, we noted that all voltages read correctly.

The pedal, particularly when slow and out of phase (what would normally be my most used setting), has a ring modulation type distortion. I chronicalled the sound here: https://youtu.be/2irUoIolN5M

The pedal functions and has no other issues. The ringing is less noticeable at higher rates, however, anything below 80 bpm is fairly unusable at the moment.

Based on the sound, how may I go about troubleshooting this issue?

#29634 Reply
    brach

I’m sorry to hear about your Quaverato trouble. Thank you for sharing that video, it is very helpful to hear what you are describing. That is a very annoying issue. It does sound very much like a ring modulator.
    I have never experienced this particular issue, so we’ll have to try to troubleshoot it together.
    First, please try to use a different power supply. A battery would be best to test the pedal out…if you have a 9v battery snap to barrel jack adapter:

…or something like it that would allow you to hook up a 9v battery to the pedal. I’m wondering if the pedal is getting clean enough power, that is isolated enough. This test will see if it is an issue related to the type of power supply that you are using.
    Another test you could try is to use “calibration mode” to test each side (high and low) separately of the signal path to see if the issue is caused by the combination of the 2 sides (like a typical ring modulator circuit). I’m interested to see if the weird sound is still occurring when only one side (high or low) is heard.
    Try these tests and let me know what you find.
    Good luck.
    -Brach

#29635 Reply
    gtuya11
    Participant

Hi Brach!

o while I do not hav a means of connecting a battery, I do have 3 different power supplies that yeild the same result, all from different manufacturers, all isolated to just the pedal.

#29636 Reply
    gtuya11
    Participant

Sorry for the typos!

#29637 Reply
    brach

Have you tried any linear power supplies (the old kind of wall wart that has a big, heavy transformer inside) instead of switch mode power supplies (the newer, very light weight wall warts)?

Let me know what you find with the calibration mode.
    -Brach

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #29635 in Unwanted Ring Modulation sounds
Your information: