VPM-1 Adaption

Home Forums VPM-1 Forum VPM-1 Adaption

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Can the VPM-1 be adapted to a standard classic Ernie Ball Volume pedal
    The potentiometer block setup appears to be the same, only the front end jack module is different.
    It looks like it would take only 2 extra holes drilled to match.
    It would be great if this could work in the other pedals.

MIchael

#21165 Reply
    brach

Thanks for the question.
    We designed the chassis on the VPM-1 to fit on the VP Jr line of Ernie Ball pedals. Unfortunately it won’t easily screw into the bigger original line of Ernie Ball volume pedals…the hole spacing is a little off. It probably would be possible to drill a hole through the aluminum volume pedal chassis to accommodate the VPM-1 chassis, but it might be tricky because you’d have to drill through part of the “counter sink” (or chamfer) of the original hole.
    I just tested the electronics on the the original EB that i have laying around and everything seems to work well. The magnet lines up nicely to the sensor board.
    One thing that i noticed was that when i took the string off the pedal flopped around and didn’t stay in one set position. So i took the treadle/axle mechanism apart and noticed that i didn’t have the spring disc washers that the VP Jr pedals have to keep the treadle tight. I ordered some of these spring washers so hopefully that will fix the loose treadle. This is the only classic EB volume pedal that I took apart so i’m not sure if it’s normal for them to not have the spring washers…apparently it was for that production run.
    So to answer your question, if we there’s enough interest in the VPM-1 for the classic EB volume pedal, we’ll look into starting a production run with a new chassis and face label (keeping the rest of the design the same). But we might have to offer these spring washers and instruction on how to mod that part of the pedal too.
    -Brach

#28164 Reply
    dirk

Hi Brach,

i had the old classic and bigger ernie ball. i can see that its a better fit for peaple with bigger feet ๐Ÿ™‚ my feet are just at the sweetspot for a JR. so i can see a use for a 2nd line. i think i would even enjoy it and regret selling my old one! especially because the control on the treadle action would be even more precise.

the sales would be lower then for a jr i think, because the jr became the “standard”a while ago. BUT, there is no spareparts set/kit for the classic anymore, so that could be an in as well. (i looked, which was the reason to get a new jr…)

hope this helps! the kit is wonderful, and so im not looking at the lehles anymore ๐Ÿ™‚

#28165 Reply
    dirk

ignore my spelling please, there were kids playing around me when i wrote this ๐Ÿ˜›

#28166 Reply
    brach

Thanks for the thoughts, Dirk.
    It will probably be a little while before we decide about creating a new line of mods for the bigger pedals. I may end up creating a tutorial on how to mod the bigger version with our current mod. Like i said, the mod works really well when it’s installed, it’s just a little annoying to install.
    Anyway, thanks for the comments.
    -Brach

#37303 Reply
    brach

I just wanted to update anybody who is looking on this thread….
    We’ve recently developed a mod for the VPM-1 that allows it to fit into the larger Ernie Ball volume pedals, not just the Jr. line. See the VPM-1 Large Format Adapter page for more info…https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/vpm-1_large_format_adapter/
    -Brach

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #21165 in VPM-1 Adaption
Your information: