What is it?
The Macchiato Mini Synth STEM* Pack is a 6-pack bundle of synthesizer kits suitable for grades 7-12 (ages 13 and up; requires soldering). The Macchiato is an affordable, well-supported electronics project kit that results in a fully functional synthesizer with keyboard. The Macchiato produces a wide variety of sounds and effects; it is far more functional than most project kits in its price range.
Who is it for?
- Science educators looking for science project kits, electronics kits, Arduino programming projects, or STEM project kits.
- Science educators teaching 7-12 grade classes in general science, physics, electronics, programming, Arduino, or music
- Students age 13+
- A printed circuit board and all the parts necessary to build a fully-functioning synthesizer
- A paper template for cutting out a cardboard cabinet from a cereal box or other cardstock
- One printed “Soldering Is Easy!” booklet
- One printed “Macchiato STEM Manual” booklet
- A 6-pack of stiff cardstock in fabulous pearlescent colors is available as an add-on
- A kit to build a black acrylic cabinet is available as an add-on
- A plug-in 110-240V AC to 9V DC power supply, which eliminates the need for batteries, is available as an add-on
- Extensive online documentation and support — see the Resources tab
What’s not included?
There is a complete list of tools and supplies that you will need to provide on the “What You Will Need” tab.
How long does it take?
The Macchiato is pretty easy, but of course build time is a function of age and experience.
- The synthesizer takes 1 – 2 hours to complete
- The cardstock case takes 1 – 2 hours to complete
- The acrylic cabinet kit takes about 1.5 hours to complete.
What are some appropriate applications?
- 1-week Class project for middle school general science class
- 3-day Class project for high school science, physics, or electronics classes — or possibly art or music classes!
- Term project for high school programming and Arduino classes
- 2-4 hour STEM workshop, summer camp, or special event
- Parent – child project, either at home or in the context of a school event
- STEM college recruitment events, as a project or door prize
* STEM = Science / Technology / Engineering / Mathematics