DIY KIT IS OUT OF STOCK! A FEW BUILT UNITS REMAIN.
The Macchiato Mini Synth is a versatile little 8-bit synthesizer you can build and mod yourself — or get it fully assembled and ready-to-play. It features a built-in 13-note capacitive-touch keyboard with 2-note polyphony, MIDI IN, and eight control knobs for shaping your sound.
The synth kit can be completed in an evening. It’s an easy build, suitable for ages as young as 13 (with supervision).
- Capacitive Touch Keyboard, 13 keys, 2-note polyphony
- MIDI IN to control your Macchiato with any MIDI device:
- Responds to Pitch Bend, Modulation, Velocity, Volume and Portamento
- Selectable MIDI Receive Channel
- Wave Shape Select: Sine, Triangle, Saw, Square
- 4-Octave Shift: C2-C3 through C5-C6
- Adjustable Attack & Release
- LFO Shape Select: Sine, Saw, Ramp, Square
- Adjustable LFO Rate, Depth and Cutoff Frequency
- Volume Control
- LED Power Indicator
- 1″ On-board Speaker
- Audio Out — accepts 3.5mm (1/8”) TRS or TRRS male jack
- ISP Header for PC connection (to upload software updates/mods)
- Requires 9V DC power from battery or center-negative wall adaptor
Whether you buy the synth as a kit or ready-to-play, it comes with a template you can use to make your own cabinet from card stock (available separately) or a cereal box. Optionally, you can order a New-and-Improved shiny black acrylic cabinet, either as a simple kit or ready-to-use. Finally, with some ingenuity, you could make your own cabinet or chassis, install the synth and apply the groovy Macchiato labels.
The Macchiato Mini-Synth incorporates the Mozzi Sound Synthesis Library for Arduino by Tim Barrass, and is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution / Non-Commercial / Share alike License.. The Macchiato code was written in the Arduino environment and is available open-source on our Github page. Arduino enthusiasts can modify the code and flash it to the synth. Find detailed instructions in the README.md file on Github.