The Altura MkII+ Theremin MIDI Controller emulates the behavior of the early electronic instrument invented by Russian physicist Léon Theremin in 1920. With Theremin’s gadget, as the player moves his right hand closer to one antenna, the device emits an eerie tone that rises in pitch. As the player moves his left hand farther away from the other antenna, the tone becomes louder. The device is very sensitive, and makes wonderful, spooky music – but it is very tricky to play. The performer can only play by ear: there are no frets in mid-air!
Our MIDI Controller version uses a pair of range finders in place of antennas, and rather than producing sound directly, the Altura MkII+ emits MIDI messages that are interpreted by your separate synthesizer. The Altura MkI+I was designed as a companion to the Macchiato Mini Synth by Zeppelin Design Labs: there are a few special features that will only work well when paired with the Macchiato. Otherwise, the Altura MkII+ conforms with General MIDI 1.0 specifications and should easily control any device bearing this mark.
You can run your Altura MkII+ straight into your PC or Mac workstation with a MIDI-to-USB converter (not included).
Please download the Quick Start Guide and Reference Manual for all the details!
ALTURA MkII+ FEATURE SET
(unchanged from MkII)
- Right Sensor – MIDI Pitch (Note On/Off)
- Octave Select – set 1 to 8 octaves, ascending or descending
- Key Select
- Scale Select – choose from 12 different modes
- Left Sensor – Send Control Change
- Pitch Bend
- Channel Volume
- Portamento Time
- Adjustable to any range of values from 0-127, ascending or descending
- X-Y Mode: Both left and right sensors send Control Change data, any value, any two controllers
- Transmit Channel selection
- Arpeggiator / Step sequencer
- Program any 8-step sequence over a 2-octave range
- Use right hand to set initial note
- Sequence always plays in selected key and scale
- Tap Tempo
- Use left hand to multiply tempo
- Save / Read up to 21 presets
- Articulation (responsiveness) adjust
- 9V DC Power Input — wall wart or battery
- MIDI Out
- Power On indicator
- 3-digit display
- ISP Header