Altura and Ableton Live

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marcozanet
    Participant

Hi guys, I’m writing to use the Altura inside Ableton Live to play some VST I have installed.
    It seems to me Ableton is not recognizing the Altura so that can’t learn from the Altura what the Altura would like to control; in other words, I can’t set the left sensor to control the drive quantity of a certain virtual synth, for example, and play it with the right sensor?

Thanks and cheeerrrsss!

Marco

#6184 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Marco, thanks for writing. First, have you succeeded in getting the Altura to communicate with Ableton at all? You should be able to easily play some patch or synth or SOMETHING: notes with right hand and, for example, modulation with left (Function = 2).
    If no, then make sure Ableton is listening on the same channel on which the Altura is transmitting. Set the transmit channel with Function = 7.
    Once you establish communication, you need to MAP one of the Altura’s left-side functions to have the desired effect in Ableton. You need to sacrifice one of Modulation, Note On Velocity, or Channel Volume (Functions 2-3-4). Pick one, then follow the guidance in this Ableton article, Creating MIDI Mappings, to map the Altura to your VST.
    Please let us know how this goes!

#6694 Reply
    marcozanet
    Participant

Hi guys, it’s me again! After a while I got the time to try again! Well .. following the procedure at the link you gave me .. it’s not working. I mean, I can play for example, a vst theremin inside Ableton modulating the notes with the right hand, but the left one is unuseful.
    I connected the Altura with a midi-usb converter and tried with an audio interface as well (Focusrite Clarett); in both case I can’t map anything inside Ableton with the left hand.
    I mean, Ableton is receiving a midi signal from the right sensor but is not understanding what is coming from the left one; I’m telling this because the midi-usb converter flashes when I use the left sensor (as it flashes while using the right one) so .. I’m pretty sure the Altura is telling something via midi-usb.
    Any idea?
    Thanks!

Marco

#6700 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

For testing, leave Function = 2. This causes the left sensor to send modulation messages (CC#1). Set the DATA NEAR to 0 and DATA FAR to 127. Now look for a screen in Ableton that monitors incoming MIDI data. You should see streams of NOTE ON/NOTE OFF messages when you wave your right hand, and streams of MOD data when you wave the left. Can you do this? This will prove out what data is making it to Ableton. If the data is arriving, then you should be able to hear modulation of a vst with that left hand: notes with the right, modulation (usually vibrato) with the left. Can you make this happen?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Altura and Ableton Live
Your information: