Altura not working

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Earl

I’m having the same problem as others, I just received this unit from a friend as a gift. Plugged it in, and the red light comes on but the display doesn’t work, and the theremin doesn’t seem to work. The pins seem to be making contact, and the whole display doens’t seem to work.

Thanks for any help!

#3643 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear this, Earl. Let’s get you up and waving. First, what’s the serial number on your unit? It’s on the circuit board, on a round sticker. Second, do I understand the display displays nothing? Nothing at all? Always dark, even when you gently press on it and rock it a little with your fingertip? Third, what do you have the Altura connected to? A synthesizer or a computer? With the synth or computer set to OMNI, meaning it is listening for MIDI data on all channels, do you see any signs of life? On the synth there is usually a LED that flickers as MIDI data passes through. On a computer, of course, you should be able to display the entire data stream, even if you don’t hear anything yet.

If the display is not working at all, it’s tricky to know what the Altura is up to, or how it is set. Make sure the OCTAVE NEAR and FAR knobs are both set to more or less the 12 o’clock position. This will cause the Altura to transmit notes over one octave, right in the middle of the piano. If the knobs are all far-left (as they sometimes leave the Lab), then the Altura will be set to Octave 1, which is mostly subsonic.

#3648 Reply
    Earl

Heya! Thanks for the quick reply.

The serial number is ZD2736

Yep, unfortunately display is completely dark, tried moving it around and no luck.

Lastly I have it hooked up to a synth, and have the settings as described and no luck unfortunately.

Cheers!

#3651 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

OK, one more question, and then maybe another. Can you give me the last name of the gift-giver? Something to help me tie down the sale. (there’s a gap in my serial-number record-keeping.) I take it the gift was a complete Altura, not a kit, correct?

#3653 Reply
    Earl

Yep complete kit. The last name should be either Sneath or Motzenbecker.

#3656 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Got it! This sounds like shipping damage. I’ll send you a return postage label and we will repair or replace the unit and get it back to you. We’ll finish up outside the forum; if we discover anything of general interest, I’ll post it here as a follow-up. meantime, email me your shipping address at info”at”zeppelindesignlabs”dot”com.

So sorry for the disappointment. We’ll fix you up good.

–glen

#3667 Reply
    zdlAdmin
    Keymaster

Earl, write to me so I can get your fix underway. And one last question: what are you using for a power supply? A low 9V battery could produce the effect you see — no effect at all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Altura not working
Your information: