Depth Control Unresponsive

Home Forums Quaverato Forum Quaverato FAQ & Support Depth Control Unresponsive

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    German Robledo

Brach,

I finally had some time to work with the completed pedal. The Depth control is completely unresponsive. There is absolutely no change when I turn the knob. I checked the solder connections and they seem fine. I was playing and I could hear some noise. I turned the depth knob all the ways on and the effect stopped working. I had to unplug it to get it to reset. Not sure what else to try.

German

#11523 Reply
    brach

I’m sorry to hear that. What is the minimum and maximum DC voltage are you getting on pin 23 of the microcontroller as you turn that pot from far left to far right?
    -Brach

#11538 Reply
    germanrobledo
    Participant

Far Left = 0.00 v
    Far Right = 4.93 v

#11539 Reply
    germanrobledo
    Participant

If I set the DEPTH knob to the far left, then unplug & plug in the power cable, the green light stays solid. As I turn the knob CW, the green light starts to blink faster and faster. If I back off, the rate does not diminish. If I turn it to the far right, the green light blinks at full rate, and backing off the knob does not do anything.

In short, the DEPTH knob can increase but not decrease.

#11542 Reply
    brach

The voltages seem correct.
    Set the harmonic mix and spacing knobs straight up, at the 12:00 position Set the multiplier at the 1:1 position. Set the wave shape to the square wave position. Try it again in this setting.
    You refer to the “rate” of the led in your previous post…the word “rate” indicates speed. When you increase the depth knob, are you sure the led is blinking faster and faster, or is the blinking just getting more pronounced? Are you sure the depth knob is altering the rate of the blinking, instead of just the depth? Does the rate knob do anything?
    After the depth knob has increased to the point of not being able to decrease (i’m assuming this means that the this knob won’t do anything anymore), what is the voltage at pin 23? I’m curious if it’s stuck at around 5V.
    -Brach

#11555 Reply
    German Robledo

It is easier to show you what is going on.

Quaverato Video

#11585 Reply
    brach

German,
    Thank you for that excellent video. It was very informative. If pictures are worth 1000 words, videos are worth at least 1000000 words.
    So it looks like your depth knob is not functioning properly. Please double check your solder joints on the depth pot and on pin 23 of the micro controller…re-flow them even if they look good. Also double check for solder bridges on both sides of the board, especially on the pins on that pot. While you have the board out of the chassis, turn it on and see if you still have this problem. It may be that a component’s lead is poking through the paper and shorting out on the back of one of the pots while it is installed in the chassis. Look carefully and make sure that’s not happening. While it’s out of the chassis try to slightly lift the pots off the board to ensure this isn’t happening.
    Let me know what you find.
    Good luck,
    -Brach

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Depth Control Unresponsive
Your information: