Use vactrol instead of diy?

Home Forums Quaverato Forum Quaverato FAQ & Support Use vactrol instead of diy?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clive

Hi, is there any reason why I couldn’t use a vactrol e.g. The vtl5 series instead of the diy version supplied with the kit?

#22715 Reply
    brach

Clive,
    You could use a regular pair of Vactrols with the Quaverato…it won’t hurt anything. Just make sure they get up to around at least 1M ohm when dark and at least under 10k when light. I can’t remember the VTL5x part number associated with these values, but the datasheet should tell you.
    -Brach

#22803 Reply
    Clive
    Participant

Thank you for the quick reply! So assuming I get the right one there’s no impact at all? Out of interest, why was the vactrol route not taken initially?

#22805 Reply
    brach

Yes, they should work for you just as well as our “roll-your-own” variety. The Quaverato circuit is actually pretty forgiving with what optocouplers you use, unlike the VPM-1 (which is our mod for the Ernie Ball VP Jr.).
    We originally didn’t use Vactrols in production because they are hard to source these days. We ended up developing a procedure for testing LDRs that gives us good results and now i prefer our selection process over the ready-made optos.
    -Brach

#22835 Reply
    Clive
    Participant

Having looked at the myriad of specifications….I think I’ll stick to the Roll-your-own! THey sound fabulous so why change. Thank you for your patience and help.

#22907 Reply
    brach

Anytime…i’m glad to help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Use vactrol instead of diy?
Your information: